25 Oct

Clean Up the Mildew

Save Yourself from Large Repair Costs

mildew on building

It is amazing the damage that can be caused by mold, mildew, and algae.  This stuff is horrible, and can ultimately end up costing you thousands of dollars in repair costs if you do not take care of it right away.   I was recently contracted by a company to do some work around their shop, and I noticed the issue they were having and I pointed it out to them.  They were later so glad that I did because in the long run I just saved them so much money in repairs.

The shop I was working at doing some other minor repairs, I noticed was having some mold or algae growing on the outside of their building.  This was a natural stone building, so the visual effect of this algae actually looked pretty cool thus resulting in the owner not thinking too much about it growing there.    Once I pointed out to him that he really needed to clean it off, he luckily listened.

My good friend Zach Stevens owns a commercial pressure washing company in Houston, TX, so I called him up to ask for bits of advice on how to clean up this mess.   I am so glad I called him because I was thinking I would just go to the local Home Depot and pick up a pressure washer and go to town on this stuff.   Once Zach found out the type of stone used on this building he advised me to leave the cleaning to a professional so that I did not damage the exterior of the building leaving it prone to further growth and lack of protection.  He also said that I may not be able to remove the stains that could possibly left behind from the mold or algae that is growing on this building.

Continue reading